Thursday, September 18, 2008

Days of future past

The brown girl stood next to the hearth, holding her gloves, murmuring that nothing looked familiar, no face, no part of the Library itself. Frank disbelief clouded her face as she gazed on all gathered, eyes lighting on the apparent non-humans: Grr and Lyra. The monk wheedled in a high-pitched worried voice, an adoring sycophant. The girl rubbed her head, saying again and again in heavily accented English, I am dreaming.

“Your holiness, our whole existence is because of you,” the monk Yoshua continued, his voice growing louder, his speech becoming more rapid. “Each generation passing down tales about you, and your coming. I was sent to locate you, and protect you. When you are ready, our journey begins.”

“Do you remember your name?” I interrupted, turning toward the brown girl.

“Yes…I remember my name. Nareth....”

Omega stopped cold, staring at the girl, open-mouthed.

“Nareth's place has always been here,” Grr said to the monk. “Now, more than ever. This is Home, this is…Family.”

“No!” Yoshua nearly shouted. “She belongs with us, the prophesied one.”

Omega’s voice rasped, each word agony. “Nareth?”

Nareth shook her head. “My family…such as it is…is in Cambodia. I have my state identicard.” She reached in a pocket to pull out something that looked like a faintly blinking green plastic button, and then offered it to me.

I took the button in the palm of my hand, rolling it around, looking at it. She said it wasn’t working, it had gotten wet. I extended my fingers, thinking thoughts of flame and heat, and the button rose an inch or so above my palm, a faint glow beneath it. The button began beeping, a light flashed, and then the image of Nareth appeared above my hand. A woman’s voice said

Nareth Nishi, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Issued August 3, 2021
ID Number 4251A-09-2314
Restriction, Zone 5-F
Conviction file 876-d-2


The image flickered, and then winked out. “Hey...I can explain that,” Nareth began as the monk ran out the door having been threatened by Omega. “The conviction...there was...a mistake. I mean…never mind.” Nareth looked utterly exhausted and confused.

Grr looked Nareth over, then looked softly from me to Omega. “I think our guest needs a lay down fer a bit.”

The Marketplace
Deadweight
Satyr

No comments: