Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A more equal exchange

I sat staring out the window from my chair, looking quietly at the rain when I heard GrrBrool’s padding steps. I glanced up at the banister, where he stood giving me a canine smile.

“Hello there, Spirit Gal…quiet night?”

“Quiet?” I replied. “No...not exactly. Abi's still missing.”

Grr nodded thoughtfully. “Locked in a punishment realm…some dream realm…or both.”

“What makes you say a punishment realm?” I asked.

“Cages, chains, no eyeballs…sounds pretty punishmenty ta me,” Grr sighed, walking down the stairs to the drawing room. “That and apparently she said it was punishment.”

My eyes widened with surprise. “You've…talked with her?”

Grr shook his head. “No. Blue of all people. Came in and wanted ta help. How’s that fer screwy?”

I couldn’t help smiling, thinking of Blue and our improbable friendship, formed over a shared bottle of vodka. She’d broken more bones and tortured more people than I cared to count…and her blood had poisoned Grr…yet some indefinable bond drew us together. Grr’s eyes sought mine.

“You like her, dontcha?” Grr smiled.

“I do,” I nodded. Thinking again of Abi, I focused my attention on the lycan. “Grr, Severus is going to take us to Abi. He won't take a price,” I murmured. “Lar would give it freely, but he won't take it. He chooses punishment instead. He won't…let us stand with him in that, either. But he will take us.”

Grr wheeled about at my words. “Really? Fuck.” He began scowling. “Fuck. I should just yank her myself…Fuck tha risk.”

“I'm not sure that you can, Grr,” I sighed. “There is…a Magician…” I looked up from my cushion to see Omega suddenly still before the hearth. Her red hair gleamed in the firelight. She stood regally in blood red corset dress, the bodice overlayed with beadwork, and ribbons cinching up her waist.

“Yer Ladyship.” Grr gave a slight bow. I nodded a greeting, relief washing over me at Omega’s arrival. Grr turned back, speaking to me. “I'd not count on that, Spirit Gal.” Grr walks to the Other place, between the planes and among them. I had no doubt he could go after Abi. Whether he would return whole was another matter.

“Grr,” I explained, “The deal with the Lightbringer has been made. The die cast. Severus will be punished whether he goes or not.”

“Well,” sighed Grr, “I guess it’s too late then.”

Omega looked at both of us, smiling evenly. “Hello GrrBrool, Joah…are we still speaking of Severus?”

“Well, tha Little One, actually,” Grr frowned.

Omega turned to face the fire. “One who won't feed, and one who won't stop….”

Grr nodded. “We should mate ‘em.”

“I am not sure who that would be more cruel to, Grrbrool,” Omega replied.

I looked at Omega. “Nor I. Rago would be heartsick. As would Abi. And when she returns…what then? This feeding…I suspect it’s been going on all along. I need to speak with her Father. He warned her of this. Repeatedly.”

Omega frowned. “And what do you think Lorne can do, now?”

“He can explain to me more of her nature, Lady. Perhaps help me to help her…find a more equal exchange for her magicks.”

“I dunno.” Grr padded over and placed one paw on my shoulder. “Can we trust…Lorne?”

Omega nodded her head. “Perhaps in matters of Abi's welfare. Perhaps. Then again, feeding Nareth to the Shadows was hardly in Abi's best interests, was it?”

I looked at the floor. “I…trust him,” I said quietly.

“Well, Joah,” Omega replied, “Lorne has always been completely trustworthy...to act in his own interest.”

Grr smiled grimly. “That we can trust.”

“But Legion…” I trailed of.

“It is another matter entirely,” Grr growled. “I don’t trust It. And I don’t understand it.”

I said nothing for a moment and continued to stare at the floor. “She helped me…with Nareth’s blade, Grr. And She helped me…leave the fear behind.” I sighed. “I don't understand Her either, Grr. But….” I was lost for words.

“Joah,” Omega began, “Legion gave me the Eden Soil. It enabled me to save Nareth, to make her my Childe. Without it, Nareth would have died…but like all of Legion's gifts...it has come at a price. Legion does not give from kindness. And all her gifts have a price.”

“I didn’t say It wasn't powerful, Spirit Gal,” Grr said gently.

“But if She…or Lorne…are able to help, Abi….” I stammered.

Grr sighed and pinched his muzzle. “Why can’t we ever have nice things?”

His comment confused me. “Nice…things?” I asked.

“Errr, old sayin, Spirit Gal,” Grr replied. “We should do this on our own.”

No comments: